Ombre shorts, acid-wash jeans, and pastel colored tops are all the rage this summer, but these can cost a fortune. Save a few bucks by getting creative and doing it yourself!
The procedures below are from personal experience and research. :)
What you’ll need:
- Bleach (for bleaching, of course)
- Powder dye (available at National Bookstore or craft specialty stores, even the grocery store!)
- Garment to be dyed
- Hot water
- Basin (large enough for the garment)
- Gloves (because the dye WILL stain your hands)
- Salt or vinegar (optional)
- Rinse the garment first. Make sure it’s entirely wet.
- Mix equal parts of bleach and water.
- Soak the garment. Watch it from time to time to see how light you want the garment to be.
- Rinse the garment and hang to dry.
- As with bleaching, rinse the garment first. This helps the dye adhere to the cloth better than immersing it while dry.
- Fill the basin with enough water to completely immerse the garment.
- Dissolve 2-3 sachets of powder dye in a cup of hot water. Slowly add this to the basin, mixing the garment as you pour.
- Let it soak.
- When desired color is achieved, rinse with water until clear.
- Hang to dry.
Dyeing and Bleaching Tips after the cut!
- The longer you soak the garment in bleach, the lighter it will get. But be warned, denim turns yellow when bleached for too long.
- Keep the garment soaked in the dye bath overnight for intense color.
- For darker colors, such as black, navy blue, or brown, 2 sachets will suffice. Lighter colors will require at least 1 more sachet per small garment.
- Add salt 5 minutes into the dyeing process to intensify the color and to make it last. This applies to cotton and denim. Substitute vinegar for salt when dyeing satin.
- For ombre styles, occasionally shift the garment while soaking to prevent harsh lines.
- For the first wash of your newly dyed garment, separate it from lighter clothes in case the color bleeds.
- myspiritanimalisagiraffe likes this
- hazalrayne likes this
- hazalrayne reblogged this from sterekism
- sterekism reblogged this from thingsbynaomi
- owlthestral22053 likes this
- booksr4reading likes this
- mademoisellegiselle likes this
- lovely-scissors93 likes this
- melstrange likes this
- ohmyjona likes this
- mr-theawesomehat likes this
- girlinvoid reblogged this from thingsbynaomi
- ouretsystore likes this
- crazypaci likes this
- luiswiechec likes this
- whatwewanttowear likes this
- spinningnegatives reblogged this from thingsbynaomi
- spinningnegatives likes this
- deemcan likes this
- rachellfenwick likes this
- peppermint-sergeant likes this
- coogan-collective likes this
- snowing-underwater likes this
- owner-annj likes this
- karlafornialove likes this
- i-have-a-whore-certificate reblogged this from thingsbynaomi
- i-have-a-whore-certificate likes this
- melissaw365 reblogged this from thewalkingrainbowofawesome
- thewalkingrainbowofawesome reblogged this from thingsbynaomi
- okinawaallday likes this
- lovecraftandasimov likes this
- hercampuscouture reblogged this from thingsbynaomi
- s0uth3rn-c0nst3llati0ns likes this
- rainhippie reblogged this from thingsbynaomi
- quintessentiallyred likes this
- catchandreleasethis likes this
- recordplayed likes this
- blondeinthewoods likes this
- dianasofiaramirezvillamil likes this
- pensiveperson likes this
- airotnac likes this
- arohale reblogged this from thingsbynaomi
- razberiz likes this
- lameyxx likes this
- doityourselfuckyeah reblogged this from thingsbynaomi
- dhanmarkable likes this
- matildayates likes this